Dove Knits

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor Day

And labor I did! All weekend long. My husband and I took a road trip, with him driving, so I had alot of car-knitting time. Then I had alot of sitting-around time, and sitting-around-chatting time, and I knitted during those, too. I knit in the car on the way to the mall and restaurants. I just knit alot.

In fact, in the last week, I completed 6 items, 5 of which were started that week, too (the last was the duckling from the last post, which sat for over a year before I finished it!). They're small items, true, but still.

What did I make, you may ask. Well, remember these socks?



I made mittens to match:



I made them up as I went along, loosely following sizing directions from Adorable Knits for Tots. I really freakin hope they actually fit. They should, given how big they are in my hand, but I'm a bit concerned. Please excuse their unblocked state. See that row of loose stitches? I'd really like to fix that up.

Also, is this considered my own pattern? Like, should I write it up? Or is it too much of someone else's because of the cable and the simplicity of the mittens? I guess the cable is pretty much public domain at this point. I don't entertain thoughts of making money off this pattern, but I do need pattern-writing experience and creds, y'know?

Anyway, after making the mitts, I also wanted to make a matching hat. So I did:



Here it is, modelled by a ball of yarn for lack of a little head. By this point, my hands couldn't take any more size 0 needles, so I went up to a whopping size 2. And they felt so luxuriously huge and easy to use!

I made the hat up, as much as one can make up a hat (write up pattern?). It might be a bit shallow, but the ribbing is pretty adjustable.

I think the hat looks nifty from the top.



The socks, hat, and mittens are all in Knitpicks Palette, and are intended for Niece #2.

And because you can't leave the momma presentless, here are some nice, warm house socks for her:



These are just shortened Thujas. Seriously, these were the fastest socks ever. They're just a touch big, but they're not meant to be worn in shoes, but rather go over other socks.

I used Knitpicks new Swish superwash yarn for these, and I am very impressed with it. I thought the pair of socks would use 3 skeins of yarn, but it used less than two. Granted, these are only ankle-length, but I wear size 9 shoes, so they're not teeny. Then, this yarn is so very, very soft. It doesn't feel like superwash wool at all! It actually feels alot like Mainline -- soft and cottony -- but is also wonderfully elastic and easy to knit with. Plus it's not splitty at all. I used size 3 needles with it easily. In other words: LOVE. Which is good, because I have 2 more pairs of socks to make out of it, plus a baby sweater. (On the bright side, I'll probably have enough yarn left over to make myself a pair of house socks, too!)

On the needles now is the Trellis (half a sleeve and assembly remaining). I would like to make 2 more toys and a hat for my older niece before sending off the package early next week, and I think I'll be able to.

Finally: I am so, so sorry for how remiss I've been at keeping up with y'all's blogs! I haven't forgotten anyone, I promise, I just have been so scatter-brained.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you were busy! Everything looks great. That's a lucky baby.

 
At 3:39 PM, Blogger Veronica said...

I love all the little baby accessories with the XOXO motif. Actually, those mittens remind me of the cell phone cozy I had made for my phone. I think as a pattern set, with both hat and mittens, it would be worth it to write up.

Good to know about your review of the superwash, too. I'm trying to not buy yarn before I finish more projects, but maybe I'll have to get some.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Sue said...

All of your handknits are so beautiful. I love the baby hat pattern too, so you better write it up. I love the little red shoes, how adorable. Cant wait to see Trellis, I am knitting one at the moment too.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Anny said...

That is a lucky baby ;0)

And i love, love, love your baby mittens and would totally knit them if you did decide to post the pattern (I totally think you should)!

Oh, and how I love the duck you knit the other day. Must get that book!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

OMG how completely cute and such a thoughtful gift for Mummy as well! Love those weekends when you manage to finish a lot...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home