Dove Knits

Monday, September 11, 2006

No more baby things!

Marathon baby knitting is over. I shipped the package off today after working on it for the last 2 weeks non-stop. I am seriously contemplating taking a break from knitting, if for no other reason but to give my poor hands a break. But we all know I won't.

This weekend I finished 3 more things to add to the pack. Here they are, starting with the most boring.

Obviously, my older niece needed wool socks, too. So I made her a pair. I used size 2 needles this time, and boy did they feel huge. The socks, however, came out to the same size as the blue baby socks I made! So they might be too small. Or the blue ones might be too big. I'm not sure!



(Knitpicks Palette, size 2 DPNs, 32 stitch socks with short-row heel and standard toe, because I was at a friend's house and didn't want to follow a pattern.)

Of course, Niece #2 needed a Trellis like her big sister has:



Please ignore the unevenly spaced buttons.

(Wool-Ease, size 8 needles, smallest size made.)

Finally, I thought another toy might be nice. Since monkeys are an inside joke in our family, and since my brother and sister-in-law got me Knitted Toys for my birthday (in Russian!), I thought that making the monkey from it would be kinda neat.





Altogether, the package included:

-The green hat for my surrogate grandmother
-Thujas for my sister-in-law
-Socks, mittens, and hat set for Niece #2
-Mary Janes for Niece #2
-Trellis for Niece #2
-Socks for Niece #1
-Duckling, monkey, and clown for the girls to share. (I made the clown a loooong time ago. It was the second toy I've ever made. I didn't have a recepient for it when I made it, so it just sat around my house.)

Altogether, 11 knits, 10 of them made in the last 3 weeks...

You know, I really do need to step back from the knitting and, oh, I dunno, clean. But...

By the way, I love the new Knitty! I must make Serrano, Sherwood, and Cablenet. I love Ivy, Diamante, and Red Herring.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the monkey.

I agree the new Knitty is a great one.

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

WOW! What a parade of beautiful knits! Your family is lucky to have such a prolific and talented knitter :) Trellis is gorgeous, and I think I must now add it to my list of Christmas knits!

 
At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you've been a knitting fiend! But it's so fun (and quick) to make things for little kids that it's hard to resist. The monkey is v. cute. :)

Thanks for your comment on my "first sock" post. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about socks, I'm not really won over yet. But of course I've already started another pair, because now everyone I know wants some! :)

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Wow, you sure have been knitting up a storm. I love the monkey! Be careful of your hands tho... wouldn't want to be told that you can't knit anymore, right? So take a few minutes rest in between ...

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger dianemulholland said...

He is just adorable!! Where did the pattern come from? I would love to make one (although I never knit toys because I hate sewing up *bleh*)

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger dianemulholland said...

Sorry, didn't read the post properly the first time ;-) is Knitted Toys available in English?? I love the noughts and crosses baby set too :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home