Dove Knits

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Well, that's not right

I started knitting that raglan cardigan for Big Niece a bit ago. I was basically winging it, sort of using the EZ percentage system, but not really, because I made the sleeves 40% instead of 33%. They just seemed too small at 33%. Everything was going fine.

The problem came in with doing the raglan decreases. How deep are a two-year-old's shoulders? I used the chart from the Incredible Custom-Fit Raglan for help. It said that a 2-year-old's raglan should measure 7 inches.

I looked down at my all-but-finished sweater. That was definitely NOT 7 inches!

Frog. Reknit. Still not 7. Frog. Reknit. Yes! Seven inches! Knit the collar, add the buttons, and huzzah, we're done.

But wait a minute. This doesn't look right, does it?



The way that sweater's knit, the sleeves start at her elbows. That can't be right!

Finally, a stroke of genius: the chart meant that the circumference of the raglan was 7", rather than measuring if you lay the sweater flat and go from armpit to neck.

You know what follows. Frog. Reknit. This time I listened to EZ: she suggests making the yoke depth as a quarter of the body measurement. In my case, for the 23 inch chest, that was about 5.5 inches.


That's much better, isn't it?

And check out these adorable buttons. I think they go great with the autumnally warm yarn!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the second picture looks much better in the raglan decreases (or increases) area. What a cute little sweater.

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

That EZ never misses a step, does she? The finished sweater looks fantastic, and the buttons are just perfect... big niece is sure to love it!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Heather said...

You are a good aunt to take so much time perfecting your gift. What a pretty sweater!

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Thanks. Yes, I know about those. I have a mail in to MAGKnits to update the posted pattern. There's another mistake in the center braid..... a couple of C6Bs should be C6Fs. Rows 7, 19, 21.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

SUCH a cute raglan, I love how it came out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home