Dove Knits

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Shoulda made a scarf

This alpaca baby sweater will be the end of me, I swear.

I knit all the pieces and start to put in the sleeves, and get this:



The sleeves seem to be too narrow. They're 8 inches around, so they'll probably fit, but it LOOKS bad. Maybe it's just that the body is too wide. In either case, I am far from crazy about how it looks. Maybe all sweaters look like this; I don't know. Then there's that bunching at the top. I can never seem to avoid it, no matter how carefully I seam. Advice?

I really should frog out the sleeves and/or the body and redo it, and if it were anything but alpaca, I would, but this yarn hates being frogged.

I like the neckline and the hood, though. I might use them again. The split neckline I figured out myself, and the hood was straight from Robin Hood, except I grafted the top rather than seaming.

I'd just like very much to be happy with this sweater. Maybe I should suck it up and go out and get another skein and redo the sleeves. Or just frog very, very carefully and redo the sleeves. What would you do? Am I imagining the defects, or what?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

The sleeves look fine to me. Did you measure from the shoulder down to the wrist to see if the measurement is correct? I'm not sure why you think they're too small. You need a kid to try it on maybe. See if the proportions are correct that way.

As for the bunching at the shoulders ... maybe you need to just do a different seaming method? But what do I know, I still think it looks good in the picture.

BTW, I've looked at other things you've knit and you do such a nice job. I love those toys ... especially the bear in a bunny suit.

 
At 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm lousy at seaming, but have you checked out Nancy Wiseman's Knitter's Guide to Finishing Techniques? It has lots of good information on types of seaming as well as other things.

I think it looks good, but if you find the sleeves are too narrow, you could always just knit a few rows of ribbing or garter stitch around the armholes and make it a hooded vest.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Marietta said...

does it really have to have sleeves? that is my idea of help :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home