Dove Knits

Thursday, July 13, 2006

CRAP.

I have run out of yarn for the Garnstudio circle cardigan. I have about...8 more rows to go on the edges, and about 3 inches to go on the sleeves. I have enough yarn for maybe 2 more rows of the edging, plus cast-off, and maybe half an inch on the sleeves.

I think I'm going to bind off the edging as it is and use whatever yarn I get out of that to lengthen the sleeves. Then I get to hope that blocking will add an inch or so more to it! It's lace in merino wool, so I'm sure I can stretch it a bit. The body was wide enough to close around me about 10 rows ago, when I put it on spare yarn to try it on, so it should definitely be wide enough, just maybe not as wide as I'd like. The sleeves are really my biggest concern.

Other options include:

1. Trying to get same dyelot from Knitpicks, or checking around online knitting boards to see if anyone has some they want to sell me.
2. Using a different color to edge the sleeves and body. This has the potential of looking really neat or really obviously ragtag.
3. Ordering more Merino Style in Frost from KP and hoping the dyelot isn't too radically different.
4. Frogging the whole thing, ordering more yarn for the cardigan, and using the Frost for something else altogether.
5. Taking out the sleeves and knitting the body wider, then sewing up the armholes, to make a baby blanket.

Since I am pretty psyched about this cardigan and have already spent so much time on it, I really don't want to do 4 or 5. So I think I'll stick with my original plan, and resort to 1 or 3 if blocking doesn't do the trick.

Wish me luck.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Marietta said...

1 or 3!!!i love that cardigan and have been dying to make it - when i finish the 500 other things....cannot wait to see it

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know if this is the best advice, but I *never* pay much attention to dye lots. I know you're supposed to, but it hasn't been a problem for me yet,[knocks wood] and I've bought lots of Merino Style from Knit Picks and used random dye lot numbers for the same projects. The sweater I'm knitting now is using yarn from three different dye lots(!) If you end up ordering more yarn, don't stress too much cause it'll probably work out fine. :)

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely think 1, 2, or 3 are perfectly viable, really. Maybe if you frog it out to where the edging begins, a color change (even a really subtle one courtesy of a dye lot shift) would look intentional and nifty?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home