Dove Knits

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Dove: now with more baby knits!

You didn't really think I'd stop at just one toddler sweater for Big Niece, did you? Come on, folks, you know me better than that. OCD are my middle initials.

Here's number 2:



(Not as lopsided as it looks, it's just stretched that way.)

This is made using up some more Paton'c Classic Merino. I bought a whole big bunch when it was on sale for $3/skein, and this sweater destashed about 1.5 skeins. See, knitting for kids is totally economical! Acrylic kids' sweater at the store: $20 and up. That's for acrylic.

-Wool yarn for niece's sweater: $5.
-Needles: $6 (and are reusable!)
-Total: $11
-Knowing that my beautiful niece is warm this winter: priceless.

This sweater was also designed by me. It's a seamless saddle-shoulder pullover, made following EZ's instructions in Knitting Workshop. The "seams" turned out a bit messy, but blocking evened them out nicely.


(A more accurate representation of the color.)

You know, I really like EZ. I was very frustrated with her at first, because it was hard to understand exactly what she meant. Then I relaxed and followed her advice of not worrying about a stitch or two. If it looks right, I probably did it right. It just generally made me get over alot of my perfectionistic tendencies, which felt great.

And, of course, I couldn't leave Baby Niece sweaterless, so I pulled out my leftover skein of leafy green Classic Merino and the leftover Swish, and made her this:



Another EZ-type sweater, this is a round yoke cardigan. I knit the sleeves in the round and tried the jogless join for the first time. I don't have close-ups of the joins, but trust me when I say that they're nearly invisible. Thanks, TECHknitter!

In a previous post, I'd already discussed how I carried the yarn between stripes to avoid having to snip it and weave in 129,703,456,345 ends.

I'm pretty pleased with these buttons, too.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Love the buttons, love the stripes, love the pink cables, love the destashing ingenuity!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Stripes and cables, how exciting!!

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Beautiful job! Both nieces will be fashionably warm this winter! I have attempted jogless stripes, but have not been able to make them successfully. I'll be checking out the link you provided. The sweater with the cables is wonderful. I really should be more brave and try to make a one-of-a-kind something. Thanks for the inspiration!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Melinda said...

Those sweaters are absolutely gorgeous. Your nieces are lucky girls!

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Very cute sweaters! You did a really great job on all the sweaters for your nieces. I LOVE knitting for little girls.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Wow! Both of those sweaters are beautiful! Love the greens and the cables... really beautiful.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Family W said...

Love those vintage style buttons! Gorgeous sweaters!!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Totally cute! I love those stripes. You have very lucky nieces!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home