Dove Knits

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

World's biggest swatch!

Actually, I'm sure there are bigger ones out there, somewhere. But this one is pretty dang huge. It incorporates four different patterns plus a stockinette area, and took up an entire 50g skein of Elann's Sonata.



This is for my mom's lacy jacket, and she gets to decide which pattern she likes best. Which is good, because I'm at a bit of a loss! I kinda like all of them. Except maybe the snowflake pattern. Not too big a fan of that.

Like any reasonable person, I just pulled out my Barbara Walker Treasury (Vol.2) and flipped through all the lace patterns. There are many more that I found appealing, but I think these show a nice variety, so that Mom can choose what she wants.

Here is a pretty large, all-over lace pattern -- Fountain Lace. It has the disadvantage of being a bit difficult to shape, but it's pretty, and slimmingly vertical.



And here's another very airy lace, but with a smaller pattern -- Spider Lace. Has the advantage of being super-easy to do, but the disadvantage of being, possibly, too open.



A more demure fabric, this is Snowflake Lace. I'm not wild about it, but it's easy to execute and to shape, and might be more covering.



I do like this Leaf Lace. Also quite covering, with an interesting texture in addition to the eyelets. It has a small pattern repeat, making it easy to shape, but it's a two-sided lace, which means I don't get purl rows to "rest" on. That's ok, though.



I'm a big fan of this yarn, too. It's smooth and soft, knits up nicely, has a nice gloss and beautiful drape, and isn't as hard as some other cotton yarns I've used.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Veronica said...

That is a *serious* swatch!! I think my favorite is the Leaf Lace, although I'm thinking of planning a sweater in a sort of snowflake pattern.

Thanks for your comment earlier on the knitting conflict. It is an issue of respect and if it comes up again that's what I'm going to have to talk about. You think he wouldn't mind... it keeps me occupied while he's playing video games, instead of bugging him to quit!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Great swatch! I'm making a shawl that has Fountain Lace in it. It's pretty and also easy. Goes pretty quickly, which is always a plus with lace.

All of them are nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Oooh that is a fun swatch! I like them all but I think I might like the fountain lace the best...

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Cool swatch, you are completely patient in a way that I am not!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home