Dove Knits

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The first in a long string of FOs

I'm pretty much done at my current job. I have stuff I should do, but am done with things I MUST do, so I've been slacking. Alot. I've been going into work for only about 2-4 hours every day.

The rest of the time, I've been knitting, knitting, knitting! And it's been all for me, and I've really enjoyed it, and now I have five FOs and a WIP to share with you.

But.

First, I've been really into mindless knits lately. I'm just too tired to really think about patterns. Secondly, I've sent most of my yarn over to Cleveland, so that we have one less thing to move during the actual move. And since I've been determined to knit from stash, my yarn choice has been limited. And for some reason, one of the things I've kept with me was a mohair blend yarn, Riviera Vichy. You may remember it from the Cold Shoulder capelet that I made a year ago. Well, I had a tub full of this yarn. I originally thought that I only had 16 skeins of it (only). As it turned out, I had more like 22, because I knit one sweater (7 skeins gone), then another (6 more), and then another (6 skeins more), and I still have two skeins left over! I swear, this yarn has been procreating!

So anyway, alot of my FOs have been made in that same yarn. Which is a little embarrassing, because who in the world needs three teal mohair sweaters, but now I've destashed myself of alot of that yarn, and I like all the FOs, so I don't care too much.

Anyway, here's the first FO:



It's the Airy Wrap-Around from Stephanie Japel's Fitted Knits. It worked up quickly on size 11 needles, and used something like 7 skiens of the scary yarn that wouldn't go away. I stuck to the pattern, but I tapered the wrapping parts, because they were too thick to knot gracefully otherwise.




Of course, it's not so much "airy" as it is "fuzzy," but I am ok with that.

Also, I think I have a legitimate theory for how this yarn multiplies. My house, see, is now covered with teal fur, as is my friend L's house (whom I visited in one of the sweaters), as is my lab (it's been in the 50s here, so my new sweaters feel good to wear still). My carpet at home literaly turned teal in spots. So I'm pretty sure this yarn replicates by budding. Which sucks, because merely isolating the skeins in little baggies won't stop the spread of the scary yarn.

More teal mohair sweaters to come!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice. The color is pretty, too.

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger Jennie said...

Great work! Looks fab! :)

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I like the color and the style. But ... that much mohair is overwhelming. Maybe a light scarf with the remaining will work ... and you could "gift it."

I always try to have at least one "mindless" knitting piece going on for those evenings I'm to tired to think.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Cute! I'm working on my first pattern from "fitted knits" and I am digging it so far. Gotta love the top-down knitting.

I have a breeding problem with a cat toy - it had all these red pieces of tinsel all over it, which fell out and got everywhere. We threw it away, but YEARS later I still find those little red pieces of tinsel. Argh!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Your theory on how yarn multiplies is hilarious! I can so see that happening.

The shrug is super cute!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

That's so funny, your yarn is procreating! Hmmm, I wish my yarn would do that, lol!

Lovely wrap, though!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Aunt Kathy said...

I have never worked with a mohair blend yarn but that sure looks pretty.

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh wow you look like an Eastern European ballerina!!

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger craftivore said...

Well, maybe this is my favorite of your three recent works, I can't decide. Does it slip off your shoulders at all?

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger picperfic said...

I love all the garments you have made with this yarn..you didn't get it from China Town did you, I know what happens if you get a Furby wet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home