Dove Knits

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

It's done! It's done!

Yes, folks, with no time to spare, the DNA vest has been knitted, finished, washed, blocked, and dried! Just in time to be mailed out tomorrow to, hopefully, arrive in Atlanta by Saturday (Dad's birthday is Sunday).

Not too bad, if I say so myself:



The above picture is a HORRIBLY inaccurate representation of the color. It is definitely not powder-blue-ish; it's dark gray. Better depiction of color, and a detail of the nifty cable and neck decreases, here:



And modeled by the dashing Pizzacutter, although he's a bit bigger than my dad.



So, to recap:

FO: DNA cable vest for my dad
Pattern: Mostly my own, using the nifty DNA helix pattern and assisted by this pattern from Berocco
Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Mist, about 8 skeins. I originally ordered 8 skeins, then freaked out that that won't be enough and ordered 4 more. The 8 was enough; I could have unraveled the swatches I made, but instead I used one of the new balls. I'm currently destashing the remnants of this with a Debbie Bliss teddy bear for my bestest friend

Well, let's see. I finished knitting the front Sunday afternoon and joined the shoulders and knit up the neck, only to realize that the neck was too small. Like, can't get over your head sort of small. So I had to rip out the neck band, undo the shoulders, frog the entire front, and reknit it. I HAD to get this thing washed Sunday night, or else it wouldn't have dried to be shipped on Wednesday, so from 7 pm till 1 am I was firmly rooted to the couch, knitting, joining, knitting, weaving in ends, and some more knitting. I finally washed it and pinned it out to block at 2:30, giving me enough time to get 5 hours of sleep for work. Yay. Well worth it, though!

The sucker grew horrendously during washing, especially in length. After some panic, I patted it to desired length, and left. It seems to be ok now.

I really, really loved every minute of this one. Even the reknitting. And I am so pleased with how it turned out, though I'm afraid the armholes are just a bit too snug. See how the bunch Pizzacutter's sleeves? But my dad is a smaller guy with smaller shirts, so...

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 3:12 AM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

YAY! It looks great, and go you for finishing before your deadline! Your Dad's sure to love it :)

 
At 6:20 AM, Blogger Laura B said...

Very nice! And on time to boot! What a good daughter you are!

 
At 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That turned out great! Your dad will love it!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Great job! As always your knitting is beautiful!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Marietta said...

very impressive!
oh to finish something...great combination of design ideas

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a very, very beautiful vest this is! The pattern is just so gorgeous, and the colour you've been using is definitely perfect for a man! I'm sure your Dad is going to love it big time, it looks like it's going to become a favourite of his! Fantastic job!

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! How DNAmazing! Hehe. I still don't know what to give to my dad for their birthday, except maybe fora recording of "When I'm Sixty-Four." ;-)

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Melinda said...

Wow, great vest! And oh, knitting to deadline. Stressful. But what a beautiful end product!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Great vest!!! Very, very cool. I"m sure your dad will love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home