Dove Knits

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Weirdness

This thing has been going around lately. I musta caught it.

There are, of course, many weird things about me, but here are the six that everyone else has been posting:

1. I cannot drink coffee in the afternoon, even one cup, because I get sick. I can drink coffee in the morning, and tons of it, and I'll be fine. I can have caffeine in the afternoon in the form of cola or tea, and be fine. I cannot have coffee in the afternoon -- even if I had no caffeine at all in the morning. The exception is if I'm really, really exhausted.

2. Even though I've been vegetarian for most of my adult life, I am not at all a picky eater. I will not, however, eat buckwheat. I hate it. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I can't swallow it, even, and it makes me gag. I will tolerate it IN stuff, as long as I cannot taste it, but other than that, nope. This doesn't sound like a huge issue to y'all, but my family is Russian, and buckwheat is eaten by itself as a side dish, or with milk and sugar as cereal. Ugh.

3. I am, however, a picky sleeper, and will not fall asleep unless I'm arranged very specifically. Namely, I roll myself up in a blanket and sleep more or less on my stomach with a pillow under my belly. Because of this, my husband and I don't share covers. Personally, I think that's good in a marriage ;)

4. I still hate to step on cracks in the sidewalk.

5. Whenever I pass by a wrought iron fence with the points sticking up at the top, I invariably wig myself out by imagining myself being impaled on the points. By my eye sockets. Doesn't matter if the fence is a foot taller than I am and I'd need to be prolpelled into the air in order for this to happen.

6. I hate the feeling of lotion, especially on my hands, and will avoid putting it on as much as possible. In the winter, then, my hands get really, really, really bad.

Ok, now for some crafty content:

Knitting: No real progress here. I've been knitting, but I'm just working on another daisy dress for Baby Niece, and it's pretty boring blogging material. I've completed the back and am currently high enough up the front to have done half the daisy, so hopefully I'll finish this weekend.

Sewing: I discovered sewing patterns. Because, see, I needed another craft to blow money on. Thankfully, right now, sewing is pretty cheap for me because I have a very good fabric stash, mostly
given to me by my mom. She bought it years ago in Russia, so alot of this fabric is my age or maybe just a tad younger. I love the prints.

So to deplete the stash, I bought patterns. I had several, but, well, you can never have too many, right? So I broke my crafting diet rule and bought patterns (in my defense, I had a gift certificate). I love the New Look patterns, because they're alot of bang for the buck, and have some really cute stuff.

Currently, I am sewing the white skirt from this pattern in the navy-and-white-flower print that you can see in the above link. I have completed the top two tiers, and need to hem the bottom tier, put lace on it, attach it, make the elastic casing and put in the elastic and drawstring, and add lace along the tier seams. So, yeah, almost done ;)

I'm thinking of using the super-bright print to make the wrap dress, and this fabric (my favorite) to make the turquoise number here.

Oh, and I'm sure you all are wondering about the results of my vote. I'm gonna keep you in suspense just a bit more!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of the fabric stores -- like Joann's and Hancock -- have sales almost all the time on their patterns. One week Butterick will be on sale, the next McCall. You can pick up some really cute patterns at a low price.

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed reading through your "weird things" - and I'm *so* with you on #3!

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Hi! I enjoy reading your blog! I was wondering if it's okay to add you to my list of favorite blogs on my "blog". (Just started it so it's only 1/2 a blog really ;) )

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Your tempting me to overcome my fear of sewing! I think I must have another go at it!

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So.. the fence thing .. I do it too except for the eyeballs. Thinking about those just gave me a really creepy feeling. I think that you just scarred me for life. That and that singing prostitute joke. What is with you and eyeballs? :-p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home