Dove Knits

Friday, February 09, 2007

Vote!

Ok, I promised you you'd be able to vote on what sweater I make for myself next, and I'm keeping that promise!

First, the yarn: I have 8 skeins (each with about 223 yds) of Paton's Classic Merino in rich red. I bought it on our honeymoon to make Knitty's Mariah, but quickly decided that I didn't need another hoodie.

I decided that I do want to make a sweater, rather than several smaller objects.

However, narrowing down what sweater to make has been a challenge, and here's where you come in. I am presenting you with contestants. Leave your vote in a comment, along with a reason for going with this sweater (or for not going with another sweater). Feel free to vote for more than one, or against any of them. Write-in votes are welcomed!

EDIT: Thank you to everyone who has brought up this very important point: yardage. What I forgot to tell you was that part of the reason these specific designs were chosen is that I've done the math for all of these, and I either have enough yarn in my 8 skeins, or would need to buy one more skein. I am more than willing to buy another skein, and this yarn is rather ubiquitous, so that won't be a problem. (For reference, I have a total of 1784 yards of this yarn, and a 36" bust. I like my sweaters snug, too, so I'd be making the sweaters right around my chest circumference.)

In no particular order, the contestants are:


1. From September (or October?) 2005 issue of Sandra Magazine.

2.

From Vogue Knitting Fall '06


3. Supernova Pullover from Fall'06 IK


4. From the same issue, Weekend pullover. Twig, I remember you had problems with this one?


5. From the same issue (hey, it was a good issue!), the Breton jacket


6. A classic cabled pullover, such as this one.


See? Indecisive.


Oh, and I also made a scarf for Big Niece:





It's Plymouth Baby Grand alpaca. The pattern doesn't really show, but it's a purled ripple. And it's very soft.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I had issues with the weekend pullover. The directions could be more clear, but the big issue I had was that the area at the bottom near the side slits, bowed up.

If you're interested in an Aran, I'd suggest the FLAK (http://www.bigskyknitting.com/FLAK/knitalong.html )

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Hmmm. They're all so lovely, no wonder you need help deciding! Looks-wise, I'd start with the weekend pulli, but the construction of the Supernova pulli is intriguing... and yet the Sandra pulli looks like it would be so flattering... yeah. No help here, but any way you choose, you win, right?

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I love the Supernova Pullover, but do you have enough yarn? The Breton Jacket is also nice and you do have enough yarn for the 1st 2 sizes listed. The others take more yarn than you have and the Weekend Pullover is one that I didn't really like at all. But maybe I would in a different color. Naw ... I don't think I like the fit or style. Well the Supernova is my favorite by far!

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

They all seem like really good choices! I know that's not helpful at all...

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rhonda the Stitchingnut is right you need to work with the yardage available. I would vote for the Vogue pattern but doubt that you have enough yarn. So I have to vote for the Brenton Jacket. The only thing I don't like is the way the the folded over ribbing on the sleeves overpowers the lovely cable ribbing (not a difficult modification) As a Chicago Suburbanite I know that you will get much more use out of a sweater you can add or remove as the temperature changes.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger RangerSarah said...

ooh, I like the Breton! Looks a little unusual, but still basic enough that you'll still wear it. Looks like you'll be getting yourself into lots of cabley goodness whatever you decide!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I vote for #1.
HOWEVER--and not to complicate things, but an Hourglass would be lovely indeed in the yarn and colour you mention...

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well - I'd *so* vote for #2!! They're all lovely, but this one seems to have the special touch to it, it looks so fantastic!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

I have to admit that I would vote for the Breton. I have been considering it my self! But any of those a great choices!

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a write in vote for the Cable-Down Raglan from Interweave Knits Spring 2007 issue.(http://interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/preview/2007_spring.asp)

 
At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I forgot to tell you why you should knit the Cable-down Raglan.
I think the look of is is simalar to Mariah which you had in mind when you purchased, without being a hoodie. I also think it is a style you will wear many years, very classic lines and fit, with cables you seem to LOVE.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Dove Knits said...

I do love the Cable-Down Raglan, as well, and you've got me pegged -- I do love cables! I'm just not sure I want it in red. But I do want to make it eventually!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Cecilia said...

I like #2! (The Bell Sleeve jacket from Vogue). Check out this one: http://merknits.blogspirit.com/archive/2007/02/11/bell-sleeve-jacket.html

Pretty, eh?

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Melinda said...

That scarf is GORGEOUS. I *can* see the pattern, which is pretty, but I particularly like the gentle colour change.

I don't know if I'm too late for the vote, but I'd cast mine for #2. I really liked all of them and it was hard to choose, but I really like the design of #2. It looks fun to knit and very wearable.

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

#3. It looks very you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home