Dove Knits

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Cable heaven



It was love at first sight. The moment I laid eyes on the Burridge Lake aran afghan, I knew we had to be together. I had to make it. It was destiny.

See, I'd been imagining a blanket pattern just like that to make for my brother-in-law. I hadn't found one online, so I figured I would design it, but Ms. Dalvi read my mind and designed it for me.

Getting started on it, however, was no easy task. First, the yarn I ordered -- Caron Simply Soft off-white -- turned out to be actually yellow. I figured BIL wouldn't like that, so I shipped the yarn back and ordered the bone colorway, which is what you'll see below.

Secondly, getting started on such an intricate pattern is always slow. At first, you're juggling three charts: one for the placement of the pattern, one for the directions for each pattern, and one for the abbreviations. Besides that, you're reversing the cabling on one side to make it a mirror image of the other. The first cable repeat feels like you will never get the hang of it and surely you shall die, but eventually it clicks, and now I'm no longer even following a pattern.



(After 5 repeats of the center panel. I'm now on the ninth repeat.)

Finally, there were some mistakes in the pattern, most of which are corrected in Magknits, and the designer was kind enough to point them out to me. Of course, that didn't stop me from making some mistakes of my own. Here's a hint of where they are:


(No, I'm not correcting them. BIL will not notice.)

8 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it. I'm such a suck for cables!

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

I hadn't seen that pattern before. It's beautiful! Yours is looking great. I agree, no need to fix those minor mistakes (I mean, design moifications).

That's going to be an amazing present for your BIL!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Even I can't see them. Your BIL is going to love it and never know ... mistakes? What mistakes? It's part of the design.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

I put that pattern in my queue in Ravelry. Love it! Yours is looking great.

 
At 5:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is amazingly beautiful! I'm fighting a neverending battle with cables, but looking at them if others did them (not me tearing my hair out and swearing and such...) is just a feast for the eyes indeed! And as I couldn't for the life of me see any of the mistakes you spotted, I agree, let them be as they are, no need to fix them - as Bonnie said, they're just Design Modifications ;)
Beautiful work!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow, so amazing! I know what you mean about juggling all of the charts...but once you hit your stride there is no more satisfying knit!

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Beautiful!!!!!!

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger TiinaR said...

This is so beautiful! I will put the pattern to my to do list :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home