Dove Knits

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Sweet little dresses

It happens every summer. Along with mosquitoes, butterflies, and lightning bugs, out comes the sewing bug. And it has bitten me, and bitten me hard.

I know I've already said this before, but sewing and I? We don't get along. I love it. It hates me. It should hate me, because, despite my love for it, I do not take my careful time with it. But still.

Anyway, you know how alot of people will knit a baby sweater to try their hand at garment knitting? Well, for some reason, it never occurred to me that I should sew little kid clothes, to get more practice while using less fabric and lighter, more manageable pieces. But it finally dawned on me as I was browsing Joann's the other day, and, armed with a little girls' dress pattern, I drove home and set to work.

My first attempt (using New Look pattern # 6688), was far from perfect. The inside edges were raggedy, the zipper (my first time installing a zipper, btw) was a bit off, but -- and herein lies the beauty of baby clothes -- the dress still turned out adorable. And it only took two evenings from cutting out the pattern to completion!

When making this dress, I had our good friends who recently moved to Hawaii in mind. I used vintage Russian fabric that my mom bought some 20 years ago. It's too loud to use for adult garments, but for a bright little girl who lives in Hawaii, it was perfect. So here is N (20 months) wearing her new dress:



(I used ribbon for the shoulder straps, without lining them with fabric. This way, they're completely adjustable.)

Of course, if I make a dress for N, I have to make one for her big sister, A (almost 7). A and I are buds. We go way back. So I thought that for her dress, I would use the same fabric that I used for my own dress. It helps that the fabric is purple! I used New Look pattern #6821, and this pattern went much better. I slowed down and took my time, and I'm actually quite proud of the way this turned out. I even learned to make tucks! And the zipper looks much better, though the thread I used to put it in shows very clearly on the inside lining. But hey, it's the inside lining, right?

The dress:



I'm happy to report that the parents love both dresses, and A loves it, too:



(I forgot to say that the amazing pictures of A and N are by Kwong Photography, a talented Chicago artist. If you are in the area and interested in using them, email kwongphotography at gmail dot com.)

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 7:31 PM, Blogger Bea said...

Those dresses are really really cute. I love that she rides her scooter (or whatever that happens to be) in a dress.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Adorable!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Great job! Sewing doesn't hate you as much as you think :) I remember my mom making little dresses for me and my sister as a child, and I'm planning on doing the same for my non-existent children one day. Also, someone is a very good photographer!

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Both are completely adorable!!!

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger craftivore said...

Both the dresses are just too cute. Summer sewing really is the best, isn't it? Sewing for summer, knitting for winter.

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Lovely, lovely dresses:)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Cute dresses!! Beautiful photos too, wish I could have the photographer take pictures of my LOs. I hope you have a safe move!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home