Dove Knits

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Head, meet desk

I am the stupidest knitter to ever pick up needles.

Well, maybe not that bad, but I am a knitter who had NO previous knowledge of how to construct a triangular knitting shawl.

See, it turns out that the side stitches form the TOP of the shawl, not the SIDES of it. The sides are formed by the last row, which is "bound off" by working an edging around it.

That would be why the shawl refused to stretch the way I tried to make it stretch. That would explain the weird shape.

I went and dug it out of the trash and pinned it out the right way (which I thought was the wrong way, but whatever way worked was fine by me at that point), and was ever-so-proud of myself when someone in Livejournal's knitting community told me that, duh, I got my sides mixed up.

Hence, my head got very intimately acquainted with my desk.

Anyway, here is the blocking shawl with the hole still in it:



And here is the hole after darning:



Overall, I do really like the shawl. I just hope I caught all the loose ends around the holes and tied them off, because, well, it'll come apart if I didn't. I'm also freezing my yarn, in case I have moths (eek!).

But, I am happy. The shawl is big and soft and light and fits beautifully. I'll have to post nice pictures of it soon.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger Glenna C said...

Oh dear! What an unfortunate bit of stress to go through. I've never done a shawl before, so for all I know I'd have the same mix-up. I'm glad you didn't have to trash the whole thing.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Veronica said...

Hey, I'm so glad you managed a fix for it! I would have been so upset if that had happened to me, I can't blame you for throwing it away in frustration. But yay, all better!

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice save! The repair is barely noticeable and I bet you won't be able to see it at all when you're wearing it.

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger 三重古天樂 said...

happy time!
酒店懶人包
20160618

 

Post a Comment

<< Home