Dove Knits

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Finished shawl!

I'm sure y'all have been awaiting the nice pictures of my finished and fixed shawl with bated breaths.

Well, it's been in my freezer to kill off any potential moth larvae, but it's come out for 24 hours before being stuffed back in, so I decided it was high time for a photo opp.

Hanging on the fence (it's not pinned or anything, it's just resting on the woodgrain!):



Hanging on another part of the fence:



A detail:



Specs:

Pattern: Fir Cone Lace Shawl
Yarn: Knitpicks Shadow in Grape Jelly
Needles: Boye Needlemaster size 6
Finished size:pretty darn big -- 36 inches deep, 64 wide. It covers me from shoulders to butt, and I'm 5'8"
Time to complete: About 4 weeks of knitting, 6 months of being stumped, and a night and a morning of fixing
Lessons learned: Triangular shawls are knit so that what you knit as side edges actually form the top edge of the shawl. I also kinda learned darning. And getting rid of moths.

I am very happy with it now.

In other news, I just started a swatch for the Sweet Mary Jane cardigan, which means I've completed the little satchel that serves as the swatch. I just measured it, and am getting more stitches per inch than necessary, but since it's lace...it might just be due to how I stretched it. So I'm forging on.



The colors are Lost Lake and the leftover Grape Jelly (both Knitpicks Shadow). As you can see, I didn't turn my work inside out after being done with the top lacy part, so when the satchel is actually beribboned and filled, its top will hang inside out. Oops. I also need to get ribbon.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 12:49 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh WOW, the shawl turned out beautifully! Aren't you glad you rescued it from the trash bucket?

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Veronica said...

That came out so lovely! I've just been dying to use the fir cone pattern, and I'm thinking maybe I'll do the Shetland Triangle from Wrap Style with some custom-dyed stuff I have. Hmmmm....

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Cara said...

That shawl is really gorgeous.

I actually came across your blog because of your Knitpicks Kimono Sweater. I'm making it currently, and yours is the only completed one I've been able to find with Google!! It's lovely, by the way. Hope you don't mind if I link to your finished product and your blog (and give you due credit, of course) in MY blog as I document the progress of my own Kimono Sweater:
yarnchronicles.blogspot.com

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Anny said...

The shawl looks divine ;0)
Congrats!

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Oh my... the shawl is breathtaking! My fence should be so blessed :) I've had several projects come around after I declared them unfit, and it's twice as delightful to see them finished and fully glorious! Congrats!

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Cornellian said...

So pretty.. I needs to make a shawl.

 
At 6:54 AM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Hey thanks for the compliment on my blog!

I love your shawl... that lace pattern is georgous! but you have moths? How awful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home