Dove Knits

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Junk food

Among my Christmas gifts received this year, I got two beading kits from a friend. One was for 7 pairs of earrings, and one for a necklace-and-earrings set.

Did you know I started my creative life as a beader? I was pretty good, too. I didn't sell much -- didn't have time to really get into it -- but I had several offers to teach, and was really doing quite well. And then, I don't know. The pressures to sell and to be super-creative and competitive all hit, and I didn't enjoy playing with my beads anymore, because I felt like I wasn't being creative enough. It wasn't good enough to just follow a pattern and make something for the sake of watching my hands work. So I kind of gave it up. The last time I beaded was shortly before my wedding, when I made necklaces for my bridesmaids and flowergirls. That was almost two years ago, and I really never had the urge to bead anything else since then.

But I got these kits, and really felt like making them. It took me a while to find the pliers in the back of my closet (along with two huge boxed filled with beads that I may or may not sell on eBay!). Then I sat down and made them. It was like eating potato chips -- I couldn't stop until I finished both packs.

Now I have 8 new pairs of earrings and a new necklace!



(They're hanging from a knitting needle. I've worn the pair that's second from the right already.)



(I've already worn the left-most pair, too. I love dangly earrings.)



(Not a huge fan of the necklace. Too...glassy...turquoisy...or something.)

This was fun! I loved just beading, without worrying about it.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 2:53 AM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Oooooh, sparkles.... I love your jewelry! They looked like lots of fun to make :) I cut back on my christmas knitting this year for the same reason - the deadlines took all the fun out of it! How fun for you to rediscover this joy!

 
At 3:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The necklace is beautiful! So are the earrings, especially the ones that go with the necklace. I never worked with beads until it was in my stitching. Maybe you'll get your joy back for it ... without the pressure that is.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

I made all of the jewelery for my bridal party, too! How fun! I love your new earrings, by the way.

 
At 7:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started out as a beader too - and my last project was also bridesmaids' necklaces (and matching earrings). How funny.

I have a funny feeling I might get back into it when I move to Florida next month. Something about wool and Florida.. And the fact that I have heard the biggest bead store in Florida is in the same city I'll be moving to..

Have you ever done any beaded knitting? I have a couple of books that were gifts that I keep meaning to get into.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always admired others for their beading talents and have never tried it for myself. I guess that's because I don't wear that much jewelry and I'm not that creative. Your earrings and necklace are gorgeous and I hope you enjoyed beading as much as you did before all the "drama"!

 
At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, I *so* love your jewelry, it's absolutely awesome! I once tried my hands at making jewelry too, but it seems I'm so totally NOT talented in that field - so I'm even more imprerssed by your beautiful work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home