Dove Knits

Friday, June 30, 2006

Cabled hat

It took over a week, but I finally finished the hat to match Nina's scarf.



Again, it's Paton's Classic Merino. I followed a pattern that used to be offered free from Rosie's Yarn Cellar for the Lobster Pot Cabled Hat, modifying it for my gauge.

To make it extra-warm for those cold Moscow winters, I made the hat a bit wider and longer (knitting 8 inches instead of 6.5 before decreasing), then picked up the cast-on edge and knit in a stockinette lining.



I ran out of the Paton's with just a bit more lining to go, so I jumped in with the leftover skein of KnitPicks Merino Style left over from the kimono sweater. Yeah, the color is different, but the gauge is not, and it's still merino and warm, and it's the lining. Odd, though, because Merino Style is DK weight, and Paton's is "worsted."

I also got my World of Knitted Toys book by Kath Dalmeny. The patterns are a bit...eh. I don't like them as much as Jean Greenhowe's, although, of course, the style is VERY different. Also, I hate that the stuffing shows through in every photo. BUT, if you want a pattern for a duck-billed platipus or a zebra, there they be. I'm sure I'll be making alot of these, although I'm a bit wary of how they'd turn out -- I've heard alot of folks had sizing issues.

Also eagerly awaiting my yarn from Grumperina. It should be coming any day!!!!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just my two cents, but the patterns from World of Knitted Toys are some of my favorites! I've made the gorilla, octopus, clown fish, turtle, and elephant so far, and I plan on making more eventually. And as long as you use the right needle size for your yarn, the stuffing won't show through (I used a little bigger needle than I should have on the elephant, for instance, and that's why his stuffing shows a little). Sizing is definitely not an issue, since you can just make them as big or as little as you want by changing the size of your yarn/needle.

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Tusa said...

That hat is lovely and it will go well with teh scarf. Well done.

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger miranda said...

Hi is there any chance you could supply me with the pattern for your hat? i cant find one similar anywhere else!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home