Dove Knits

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Color me crazy

First of all, I am so sorry for not keeping up with y'all's blogs for so long. I've been pretty out of sorts and not really following knitting online. I promise to catch up.

Secondly, I finally completed a project so bright, you may want to put on sunglasses before proceeding.

I'll wait for you to go get them.

Ready?

Ok.

Ta-daaa!



See, I told you it was bright. Here's the other side:



I started this blanket right after we got married. Yes, that's almost two years ago. I basically pulled out my stash of Caron Simply Soft and started going through 200 Blocks to Crochet by Jan Eaton. It was a wonderful project for my nonexistent attention span. I was always doing something new! I loved it.

The problem was, even though all the blocks are designed to be the same size, and even though I used the same yarn and hook throughout, the sizes were all over the place. I sorted all my squares and decided that the most commonly occurring size was, and redid the other squares -- half of them -- to be that size.

Then there were the ends to weave in. Yeah. Ouch.

Then there was the joining. I just didn't have yarn that went with it, until recently. So two weeks ago, I sat down and started joining. I did a sc border in black around each square and then joining them using the slip stitch method and going in a diagonal like the book recommended. Then I ran out of black yarn and that lead to the crochet spree seen in the previous post. Then I bought more yarn and finished joining (during which I lost a square, made up a new one, joined it, and found the one I lost), did a border (two rows of dc, then a shell border), and then wove in all THOSE ends. And now, I'm done!

Now, I know it's ugly. But I love it. I can't help but smile when looking at it, and what more can you as for of an FO. It's big enough to use as a real blanket, too, and I've been sleeping under it.

The specs:

Size I Susan Bates hook. Various colors of Simply Soft for the squares, and Simply Soft, Wool-Ease, and Microspun for joining and borders. All square patterns are from the book indicated above. The finished blanket is about 6 feet by 4 feet, and is not nearly as lopsided as it looks hanging on our fence.

And I'm sure you're just dying to see all the squares individually. You can do that here. The colors are more washed out here, and the full blanket pics are much more representative.

Tune back in soon if your retinas are still intact!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger none said...

I absolutely love it! I have the same attention span and would love to do something like this. And I just might! The colors are so bright and happy! Great job!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Laura B said...

It's so pretty! It's not ugly at all! Seriously, a very cool way to remember the first couple years of your marriage.

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! And just think the blanket will go with any color decor.

 
At 3:40 AM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

I heart that afghan! I'm not a crochet fan, but if I was, I'd be hooking away already (and I mean that in the best possible way)!

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Prettybird said...

I love it! I don't think it's ugly at all. I'd use that blanket any time I needed to be cheered up. The work required to finish it (the joining and re-sizing) would have driven me crazy.

r

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! What a project. It may be bright, it may be a bit crazy, but there is no way it is ugly. Great job!

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

In all honesty I love the colors. I think it's nice to have something bright and beautiful to look at.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

I've got to see this one in person.It looks amazing!

Jen

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Fabulous! I have made one blanket (throw) in the 15 mos. or so I've been knitting. Maybe I should learn to crochet sample squares to inspire another!

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

I love it! Its very happy. Way to embrace the crochet!

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the blanket! I've always wanted to make a crazy blanket like that.

 
At 6:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, that previous comment was from me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home