Dove Knits

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Procrastination

So.

My best friend's birthday bear still needs clothes.

My other best friend's baby's surprise gift is still in pieces.

I was planning on making my brother-in-law a Jean Greenhowe graduation owl mascot for his college graduation next weekend.

And then there's the project I was going to design and submit to Knitty.

And we won't even mention all the incompletes on my side bar.

Have I been working on any of these things? Of course not.

Meet the current object of my affection obsession: the Rona lace shawl



I know it doesn't look like much, all scrunched up like that. But this shawl is an evil, evil temptress. I started it on the drive to Cleveland last weekend, thinking it will be an innocent enough project. Little did I know that it possessed charms that would prevent me from putting it down for the next week and a half!

I love everything about this shawl. I love watching the pattern grow and change. I love having to read instructions for every single row rather than being able to memorize and repeat, ad nauseum, the same several rows over and over. I love the lovely soft Misti Alpaca laceweight yarn, airy-soft in my hands. I love how relatively quickly it goes -- I'm on row 107 of 153. It won't be a very big shawl at all. (I've completed quite a few rounds since taking the picture.)

I'm a bit confused, though, at the fact that it doesn't really increase in stitch number round to round. It does, but slowly. This makes it go faster, but also makes me, someone inexperienced in knitting flat circles, wonder if I made a mistake somewhere. We'll find out soon. Tonight, though, I have to put the shawl down and work on the surprise baby gift.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger Cornellian said...

The nice thing about circular lace is that a lot of times the knitting doesn't need to be a perfect flat circle becuase it'll block out. They're not doing some kind of pi increasing, are they? double the stitches every time the number of rounds doubles?

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The shawl is looking good. Love the color and the stitch pattern.

 
At 3:35 AM, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Oh, that is going to be gorgeous, I can tell already! Looking good! I'm with Bronwyn on this one... lace blocking is an amazing thing, I think you'll be surprised.

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Yah, the surprise will be in the blocking! I just love the color also.

 
At 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yummy, what a gorgeous shawl this is going to be - it actually already looks great! I love the pattern as well as the color you're using - and yep, the surprise will definitely be in the blocking!

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the shawl. It looks mighty pretty!

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. Your Rona Lace Shawl is coming out beautifully. How did you figure out row 38? Because I'm also knitting that shawl, but I'm stuck at row 38 especially at their notes or the reverse order thing.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Beautiful shawl! Yeah I had a weird experience like that with the circular shawl that I knit. the thing is - it all evens out in the blocking. Can't wait to see how it turns out! And I seriously love that color.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home