Dove Knits

Monday, January 07, 2008

Because it's Russian Christmas today...



Jean Greenhowe's nativity (from 28-Page Christmas Special), given to my husband's grandparents. That's as far as I got -- they'll have to wait until next year to get the magi and shepherds, although I did make about half a sheep.

Yes, Joseph looks like a terrorist. It's not his fault. Although I've also been told he looks like Hagrid, and I like that much better :)

A note on Christmas: I actually celebrate it December 25th, as does my church, but in Russia, the church calendar is 13 days behind the regular calendar. Russia's regular calendar and church calendar used to be synchronized (and 13 days behind the rest of the world), but the real calendar changed at some point around the revolution (I think). The church stuck with theirs. So Russia and Serbia and a few others have the old calendar, while Greece and the OCA go by the new.

That, by the way, is NOT why Orthodox Easter is on a different calendar! That has another explanation to which I can't do justice.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas.

Why is it in January? Does it have to do with different calendars?

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

You are the queen of stuffed knitted creatures (and people)! I'm not sure if a sheep came to the epiphany, but I think one should! :)

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Beautiful work, Dove! I prefer to think of Joseph as Hagrid (Braden and I are watching Sorcerer's Stone right now!) I've enjoyed catching up with your blog, although I haven't actually touched needles (or blogged)since before Dec. 4 when our little one was born. It may be a while :)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home