Dove Knits

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Extreme(ty) knitting, part 2: the hands

A.K.A., The ADD Knitter gets a heart attack.

I know I promised myself not to buy anything until June, but last Wednesday, I had to go to the dentist. I hate the dentist. This time, I had to go in to get a crack filled in my tooth that wouldn't have been there had my tooth not been filled the last time. The sheer injustice of having to have my tooth drilled again was just too much, so I decided I'd treat myself to a trip to the LYS that's next door to my dentist. Oddly, it was even open.

It was the most disorganized LYS I've ever set foot in. Just because you had a yarn of a particular brand, color, weight, or fiber on one shelf did not mean that adjacent shelves would have the same brand, color, weight, or fiber. I mean, there was no rhyme or reason to this store. Half-empty bags of yarn were laying around on the floor. You get the idea.

I meant to buy lace yarn, but the store only carried the mohair variety, and, well, never again. So instead, I thought I'd try Noro Kureyon. Obviously, everyone raves about this yarn, so I picked two skeins of pretty colors (#182) to make the Hurry Up Spring armwarmers from Stitch&Bitch Nation, and went home.



The mittens, completed in 2 nights (size 7 needles), are lovely. I made them a leaf-repeat longer than the book said, and only used 56g of Kureyon, giving me plenty of leftovers. Stay tuned.

And here is where I give the ADD Knitter a heart attack. I disliked Kureyon. Sure, the colors are nice-- but just nice. Alot of the time, the transitions looked just plain muddy to me. But what got me the most was that for the $9/skein I paid for this stuff, they didn't bother to spin it. Or they got a blind monkey to spin it. I mean, really. I don't mind paying $9/skein, but not for yarn that's sometimes roving, and sometimes too fine to knit! And there was grass in it.

So. Never again, unless it starts to sell for less than half that price, will I buy Kureyon.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

This means WAR!!!

Hehe, kidding. When I saw that 'ADD Knitter/heart attack' reference, I thought it was because the mittens are featuring a very Queer Pride color scheme!:)

Incidentally, the grass you so disdain is referred to 'vegetable material' in the land of Noro;)

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger craftivore said...

You didn't like knitting with the yarn, but DANG they look cool.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I hear this complaint a lot so my 2 balls of Noro Kureyon are still sitting in my cedar chest.

 
At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oof, your distaste of Kureyon gave me heart palpitations too. That's ok, more for me!

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I love them!

I know what you mean about the way it's spun, or not spun, but I love the way it looks. The colors are fantastic!

Is there another brand of colorful self-striping yarns out there that you prefer? If so, I've gotta get my hands on that.

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger MTB said...

I don't care much for Kureyon either, but that's a great colorway - what number is it?

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger MTB said...

Oh, duh, it's right there in the post. Nevermind!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home