Dove Knits

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Seamly seams

Oh, Burridge. After an enormous exertion of willpower, I plowed through the two side panels in just a couple of weeks. Well, actually, I still have three pattern repeats on the last panel, but it'll be done by the end of the week.

With that said.

Today's will be an educational post. Obviously, with three panels to put together, seaming must be done. Obvious seaming. Seaming I can't hide under the arm or on the inside or on the bottom. So it had to be nice seaming.

And I think I finally found a good way:



Can you find the seam in the above picture? No? Good. You're not supposed to.

I'm sure the method for making such a seam is totally common knowledge to everyone, but it was news to me, so I figured I'd post it.

First, you put the needle through the panel with the stockinette edge. To do that, you go through the middle of an edge knit stitch top to bottom, like so:



Then you put the needle through an edge purl "bump" on the other panel, top to bottom, like so:



Return the needle back to the first panel, going through the next knit stitch, top to bottom as above. Voila -- tidy speech.

Come to think of it, I should have waited with this post until I had more brainpower left to phrase things better, but no such luck. I hope the pictures prove their 1000 words worth.

Also, in biggish personal news, after 5 years in Chicago, we're moving to Cleveland. Well, Husband is moving back to Cleveland, and I'm moving there for the first time. We'll only be there a year or two, but it's nice to be sorta going home. Although I will be sad to leave my Chicago.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have already knew this method, but your completed seam is great! I'm not sure if I ever managed to do such a neat and invisible seam :)

 
At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great seam! Gotta love when it all comes together perfectly.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger craftivore said...

Lovely seam. It's great to have one of those light bulb going off moments.

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Beautiful job! Can't tell where it is at all. Feels good to master that doesn't it?

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

That was actually super helpful, and good luck with your move!:)

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Philigry said...

oh, thanks for sharing that!your seams look great!

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, I can't see the seam! Do you think you could come down here and seam all my sweaters for me? Thanks!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Melinda said...

Wow, that seam is a(n invisible) thing of beauty. Thank you for the clear pictures and tutorial.

Good luck with your move!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

You're moving to cleveland?! That's so fun!!! Let me know if you need any info on local yarn stores!

And thanks for the informative post...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home