Dove Knits

Sunday, January 27, 2008

A UFO no mo'

Sometimes a contest is just what you need to get your knitting butt in gear and finish a project. Especially one that you were REALLY psyched to start in the first place and only had a sleeve left to do.

So I finished:


Ta-daa!

Presenting the finally finished art-knitting circle cardigan from Garnstudio, which I had started, oh, 18 months ago. Once the pattern came out, I just HAD to cast on right away -- and did. And in a couple of weeks, I made most of the body, except a couple of rounds, and almost all of a sleeve.


(The back. Isn't it awesome?)

And then I ran out of yarn. Not surprising, since this thing ate yarn like crazy! I used two strands of Knitpicks Merino Style (Frost colorway; and yes, it's a different color from Husband's sweater) on size 11 needles (size 10.5 for the sleeves, don't ask why. I didn't realize there was a 1.5mm difference!). I ordered 14 skeins to start with, and that wasn't enough. Waiting to order more yarn caused me to put the sweater aside and forget about it long after the yarn came in.

(In total, I ended up using 18 whole skeins of yarn, and starting off two more. For a size small sweater. Yeah. Yarn eater.)



Well worth it, though.

I steam-blocked this baby, because doing my usual method of soak-and-spread-out wouldn't have worked. The sweater is heavy enough when dry; lifting it out when wet would have instantly given me a hernia. And it doesn't have buttons -- probably won't. I'm using a hair stick to hold it closed, in case you're wondering.

Labels:

14 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Sue said...

It looks gorgeous.

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh what a beautiful sweater! I like circular sweater in theory but not on MY body ... but this one just might be the exception. What pattern is it?

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Wow! That's gorgeous! Congrats on finishing. That is an inspiring work of art.

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

That color is amazing - it looks so good against all that white snow! (At least I'm assuming that's what that white stuff is...) And the back IS awesome! I can't believe that used so much yarn - it must be warm! You always impress me with your talents. I need to make a knitpicks order so I can start on some new projects...

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Family W said...

wow... I'm so jealous! One of these days I'm going to be able to knit like that! :)

Great job by the way, and yes the back IS INDEED awesome! :)

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger craftivore said...

wow, that is incredible! I absolutely love the back. This one was definitely worth crossing off the UFO list.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Ok, you are totally freaking CUTE in that sweater! Work it, girl...

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Sourire11 said...

Beautiful!!!!

 
At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is BEAUTIFUL! I can't believe you let it languish so long! It looks great on you, too.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Happily Knit said...

That is gorgeous! 18 months and well worth the wait if you ask me! That is my favorite color too... My stash is testimony to that :)

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome! I think I'd poke my eyes out with my needles before I could finish something as elaborate as that...

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger Philigry said...

love this! what a great color!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's lovely, and lovely on you.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Stephknits3 said...

Just stunning! Beautiful work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home