Dove Knits

Monday, December 22, 2008

Piece of cake!

I occasionally dabble at baking. Usually I make cookies, and, not to brag, but they come out quite tasty. I make quick breads, too, like banana bread, and every now and then I make candy, like toffee.

But I've only ever made a couple of cakes, and some of those times were from a mix, frosted with store bought frosting. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm a from-scratch kinda girl. I like things coming out of my kitchen to be not from cans. I think it tastes way better, and I'm way more proud of it, too.

So I volunteered to bake my husband's birthday cake this year. His favorite is black forest cake, so that's what I went with (recipe here, but I left out kirsch).

And I think it came out quite well!






So the rosettes are a bit uneven, so what?

And it was delicious. Sadly, the layers shifted around during transport (the party was at his grandparents' house), but I was able to fix it cosmetically. It did, however, squeeze out the cherry filling alot, so it was more just chocolate cake (not that that's a problem). Next time I won't use whipped cream between layers and just put the cherries.

Recipe notes, if you want to try it:

-The cake is very stiff and dense, like a brownie (tastes like a brownie, too). It does not rise. I ended up making two cakes to get 4 layers. Thankfully, the density of the cake makes it very easy to work with for layering.

-The cherry filling is awesome, and would work for pie or tarts or what have you, as well. It's nice and tangy!

-The chocolate whipped cream is divine. Lightly sweet, with more of a chocolate essence than full-out whammo chocolate flavor.

-Again, I left out kirsch. I added a bit of cherry extract to stuff, instead.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Aunt Kathy said...

Oh my husband would love that cake, are you taking orders and delivering to upstate NY? LOL

 
At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummy. that's the one thing my mom never enjoyed doing - baking. i need to pick up some skills somewhere pretty soon :)

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

That looks sooo tasty. And you can have two pieces right, because you're eating for two? Yummy!

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Delish!!

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger Marifetane hobi said...

"hello happy new year"

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger craftivore said...

Yum. Happy 2009!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home