Things you didn't know I was working on
Actually, these are things I didn't know I was working on, until I was done! That's how quick they were. So, to make up for my MIA-ness, I present you with not one, but THREE FOs.
All of them *gasp* crocheted!
I just haven't felt like knitting. Something really evil has been going on the last two weeks, you know? The shooting is the worst, but other, more minor things have been happening to just about everyone I know. People getting sick or hurt. People's kids getting sick or hurt. Everyone feeling out of sorts. You know. Everyone seems to be recovering ok, but I'm really hoping for a new streak with this coming week.
Anyway, I needed some soothing-type projects to work on at night, and for some reason, none of the things I have on the needles were appealing. At. All. In fact, knitting wasn't appealing at all.
Moreover, it had to be something for ME.
So I dug out this crazy square blanket I started a while back and started joining the squares. Once I ran out of yarn, I suddenly remembered that I have this enormous stash of mohair-blend yarn that my mom bought at a thrift store a while back. She bought every ball they had, so I have 18 balls of it.
It was just destined to become the Cold Shoulder Capelet from The Happy Hooker:
I made more repeats than the pattern called for to get this length, but, despite the fact that I did not swatch, this yarn worked perfectly for this project.
By the way, the yarn is Riviera Vichy, which, as far as I know, is discontinued. It's 26% mohair, 24% wool, 19% nylon, 18% acrylic, and 3% polyester, making it the most blended yarn in my collection. It's also not a terribly pleasant yarn to work with, but I like the color. The capelet took less than two balls; I've got to figure out what to do with the other 16.
When this was finished (and it took me about 4 hours), I just had to keep crocheting, so I started the Fat Bottom Bag, also from the same book, in Sugar'n'Cream (less than 2 balls):
I even had handles lying around.
The crocheted flower is also from a pattern in Happy Hooker.
Finally, digging around my stash for yarn to finish the blanket with (I just KNOW I have two more skeins of black acrylic. I just cannot find it), I found some more super-old yarn. This was a 60% acrylic/40% wool blend my parents brought me from Greece 7 years ago. I started out with four skeins each of green and navy, and kept thinking they needed to be used together, but hated that color combination. Over the years, I used half the navy, but almost none of the green.
Then I decided it would be perfect for the Knot Ugly shrug (also HH). And it was!
I shortened the sleeves, certain I'd run out of yarn. I didn't. I could have made longer sleeves, but I like it this way. I also made the neck too wide, so it's more of a boobholder than a shrug, and I'm not sure I like it that way. Even adding two rows of double crochet around the edges didn't make it more, um, covering.
I dig the cute button (a plastic daisy), and do like it with this yellow tank. And the crocheted bag!
So yes, lots of FOs for MEMEMEMEME. And some destashing, which makes me happy. It was humbling, though, to see how much my crochet skills have atrophied! Wow, I'm so used to being a decently good knitter that it's hard to remember that I'm only a mediocre crocheter!